Monday, June 2, 2008

I Love the Night Life

Hey. I guess it's a fact of life for any blogger that when you're busy doing interesting things that people might like to hear about, you're too busy to write, and when you have time to write, it's usually because you're not busy doing anything interesting. I haven't been doing much lately, but I'll try not to mention milk and tea again.

I have been reverting to a nocturnal lifestyle. It's a tendency I've always had, but full time employment artificially curbed it for years. I have to force myself to bed by 2 or 3 a.m. and then I sleep late and then I feel like a loser. It's an easy cycle for me to fall into. Back in my college days, I often made it to 5 or 6 a.m., at which time you could catch reruns of Mr. Belvedere and Small Wonder. They were no ALF, but...

One recent late night was quite productive. If you remember, my iTunes library disappeared from my computer just before departing and I ended up loading music back into iTunes for exactly 24 hours the day leading up to the movers' arrival. I had borrowed quite a few CD's from the Library over the years and at first I always made backup CD copies of the ones I wanted, then I got lazy and I just imported them into iTunes without making copies, so I lost a lot of music when I lost the previous iTunes library. Many were on my iPod though and in my new role as techie, I downloaded a program that recovers songs from your iPod and gets them back into iTunes on your computer. If you ever need to do this, the program Senuti worked very well. It almost took me less time to import the music than it did for me to realize that it's itunes spelled backwards. Ultimately, I gained back about 25 CD's that were only on my iPod and a handful of others that I have copies of back home but didn't have time to reload before moving. So I have around 160 CD's in iTunes now. I know there are online alternatives for listening to music in this age, but I'm comforted by my collection.

In other news, Paul took his test Saturday. It wasn't easy, so we'll see if there's more studying in the future.

Speaking of people who work, the pool in our building officially opened on June 1. The sad surprise is that it's open from 7 to 11 a.m. and then from 6 to 11 p.m. I guess the hours are aimed at people who are employed and don't sleep late and not those who might want to visit the pool at 2 p.m. and bask in the sun. If there is actually ever sun again. It's been raining, thundering and lightning a lot.

I hope the weather is better this weekend because it's the Tuen Ng Festival, or the Dragon Boat Festival and races. We hope to get over to Stanley (beach town) and catch some of it. If we do, there should be something to write about.

Here's something kind of funny. I got a phone call Friday from the internet/cable company that originally gave me an estimated installation date of late April. I guess they finally found enough cable. The next day I also received a letter from them saying, "We have received your application, but have been unable to contact you to arrange installation despite several attempts." Those cable guys - what a sense of humor.

I think our first vacation is going to be Bali, Indonesia at the end of June. It's not rainy season there as it is in other places we considered. We have to wait another week to confirm it which is totally frustrating. I did a lot of research and then we went through a travel agent that Paul's coworker recommended because it was a significantly better deal as a package, but he hasn't even confirmed the details after almost two weeks. (I see a theme here... ) I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your sleeping habits will pay off when you get to be an old lady like your sis. The sleepless nights will just be normal for you instead of driving you crazy like they do to me! If I could just be as productive as you!