Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Save It For Later

I had been thinking of a post and a title having something to do with guests and hospitality, but my mind is a little foggy and this title probably fits better at the moment anyway. We take off for Tokyo in exactly four hours, at 8:00 a.m. I started packing earlier than usual, around 8:00 p.m but with interruptions like making dinner, showering, putting off writing a blog, I just finished a few minutes ago. This is a long trip so packing actually took a bit longer. I always believe it will work out differently than me sleeping for about an hour before a flight. Oh well. I guess that's how my skill at sleeping on planes developed so well.

So, visitor updates: The cockroach is dead. Well, a cockroach is dead. A few days after I first saw it, Paul said, "I saw your friend this morning." I tried to guess who he meant, and then he said, "He was in the kitchen." He tried to get it, but it was too quick. Then we went out Saturday night for dinner and drinks with a group of friends so we got home late, about 2:30. As I was putting some things away, by the dim light near the kitchen, I saw the beast scamper by just as Paul was coming into the room. I pointed it out, turned the light on, and Paul asserted, "O.K. Get ready," more to himself than to me as he took a Karate stance. Then he punched the cockroach.

Mmm Hmm. Punched a roach. And with Mr. Miyagi-like precision and impressive brute force, Paul became the champion as it fell to the floor - or most of it fell. Some of it remained on the front of the cabinet it had been scurrying down and I think a leg or partial wing landed nearby. It was only maimed, not killed instantly, but my stealthy hero soon finished the job. Then I made him wash his hands thoroughly. I can only hope that the three sightings were all the same roach. I could swear the one I saw the first time was bigger, but I'm hoping it was the same one. Only time will tell. So one guest has gone.

VIEW DISCRETION IS ADVISED



Other guests: Last week was a record week for us. Two individual people visited us here in Hong Kong. Perhaps, I exaggerate a little, but the lack of visitors so far, precisely zero, has made me desperate. First, a girl Paul used to work with got married and honeymooned in Bali. She and her husband had one night in Hong Kong on their way home. They called one of Paul's coworkers about meeting for a drink and we all met up, and let's call this our first visitor.

Second, my friend Steve from high school, who I've reconnected with on Facebook, travels a lot for business. He was making his first trip to Shanghai with a two night stopover in Hong Kong. I met him for lunch the day he was leaving. Coincidentally, his office is a two minute walk from our building. We road the tram to a popular old tea house for dim sum, then walked through Hong Kong Park, and I pointed out some highlights along the way. It was approximately a three hour tour (a three hour tour).

True, neither individual came specifically to see us, but I'm still calling them visitors because - hey - that's all we got... now that the roach has passed on.

So in a few hours we will be guests in Japan. We'll miss Halloween here again this year. Last year we were in Australia. You may think it makes no difference, but it is actually a pretty popular holiday here. Hong Kongers love any reason to party. Friends described the scene around the popular bar area last year, how you had to queue for blocks to get near anything and the people traffic was separated by barriers only allowing one way in and out. Frankly, it doesn't sound appealing (cause I'm old). We will likely be soaking in a hot spring in the hills around Mt. Fuji instead. So be it.

The weekend before Halloween



We are truly looking forward to our trip. I won't know what to do with myself when we return; I've been doing nothing but planning it for about two months. I have to smile reading the email exchanges I've had from some places I've made arrangements with. I hear that the Japanese are remarkably courteous and it proves true so far. Also, Japanese to English translation must not be a simple thing because some of the phrases I've read just crack me up. I know it's just awkward translation, but it seems so precious.

Here is part of a confirmation email I received from one hotel:

Then We are waiting for Ms.Lisa Piraino to come from staff all the persons concerned and the heart...
Take care and come on the day.

And from the English web site of the dive instructor who I arranged a dive trip with:

Every time, nature of this subtropical island makes me excite and relax. As an scuba diving instructor working for Umicoza, I have always enjoyed them mainly from sea... Every time having been touching with this spectacular water world as a scuba diving instructor, I would like to introduce it to you... The way coming to this destination is by air or sea. Applying airplane is more popular, concerning about time. (If your holiday can afford to time, ship traveling also becomes preciousness.)

Don't you just want to hug them?

Well, it's almost a pity to be leaving Hong Kong at this time because the humidity has dropped considerably recently and you can walk a bit without sweating. Now is when the weather starts to become more pleasant.

So, am I entertaining when I'm delirious?

We'll be back on November 8. Bye!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

How did you sleep at night knowing "THAT THING" was on the loose?