Sunday, January 31, 2010

So Nice So Smart

Getting one in just under the wire - I didn't want there to be a big fat 0 next to January. We've been back from the States for a month, and it feels like that visit was ages ago. We were both more run down from the journey this time. You fly 15 hours, start to feel normal eventually, and 12 days later fly 15 hours again. There is always the issue of jet lag and readjusting to day where night should be, but personally, I also felt physically uncomfortable for days after we returned home. I felt queasy from time to time for about five days; my legs were cramping up while I slept; my face was yellow and puffy - Paul confirmed this for me. Other odd things experienced by us and others recovering from similar journeys: you have to pee every hour overnight; you wake up ravenously hungry and remain hungry through the early afternoon before your appetite disappears entirely. But, hey, we suffer through the bumps to see those we love because we know they would do the same for us. We are optimists.

At least we made it through the airports and flights without incidents of exploding underpants, terminal closures due to some guy ignoring Exit Only signs, etc. There was some crazy stuff happening in aviation last month.

New Year's Eve, Staunton St.

We soldiered on through New Year's Eve dinner with friends and through a steak dinner for Paul's big 4-0 the next night. Things are basically back to normal again now. Two weeks ago we had a couple of our friends over for dinner for the first time since we've lived here. Our friends, Victoria and John, had us over for a lovely dinner some time near the end of the summer - of 2008! We have been promising to return the hospitality ever since, but things kept coming up... trips, illnesses, one of us having a baby (that would be Victoria). Our place is so small we had just enough room for the four of us. I borrowed my friend Maggie's counter-top oven to aid our hosting efforts. At least I think we haven't lost our skills. Or they were just happy with the good wine we filled them with.

Paul, escaping what could have been a terribly tragic ending to his 40th birthday



Not a bad lookin' dessert I presented, huh?

Later this week we are going to Vietnam for three nights. I've wanted to go ever since we knew we were moving here and we're finally getting there. We chose Hanoi and nearby Hanoi, called Halong Bay. Should be exciting. Of course, there will be pictures and commentary but it's only three days, so it should be shorter than The Epic of Japan.

Home news: My niece Kristen, who is heading to high school in September, recently received her entrance exam results. She was awarded a full four year scholarship to Saint Joseph by the Sea. It's a looong time since she couldn't pronounce my name and used to call me Ise. She's just as sweet today and kinda smart too. Congratulations, Kristen, and happy birthday too!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Hate to break it to you Ise but alot of those jet lag symptoms sound like "old age" - Take it from the mother of the 14 year old.
It's a good thing I only "virtual-travel" with you guys. Looking forward to our trip to Vietnam especially since I was so blog deprived this month!