Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Movin' Out

It's almost time to bid farewell to apartment 12B in the Peach Blossom, our serviced apartment in Hanlun Habitats. We went to our new apartment at J Residence yesterday to sign the lease and get the keys from the landlord. I have no complaints about our temporary residence, but it will be nice to get into our own place.

The staff here has been very hospitable. I see the same two or three doormen every day and they still pretend they're happy to see me come and go. It's also nice to have the whole place cleaned every day by somebody other than me. They even wash the dishes. The only downside is that the cleaning ladies arrive randomly between about nine and three, so I feel that I always have to be out or be prepared to run out when they arrive. They say "bye-bye" a lot. I think it may be one of the only English phrases they know, and I'm grateful for it. The other thing we take advantage of is ordering in from a small dinner menu they provide. The food is decent, not spectacular, but it arrives at our door within about ten minutes of our calling in an order, and it's so cheap that I couldn't even buy the ingredients and cook them myself for less. And really, why would I? The little kitchen is well-equipped, but come on, it's prepared, economical food that appears at your door. It's like a small miracle (and hopefully helps balance out our more extravagant weekend meals). They also let you drop off your laundry at the front desk and they'll send it out and return it to your apartment when it's done.

So, bravo to the good people at Hanlun Habitats. Our stay was quite pleasant.

We'll probably also miss the space. That is one small apartment we're attempting. As for the location, I enjoy it here but I'm looking forward to a new neighborhood and flatter ground. It's not a very big island; it's not like we can't return. I mean, the Wagyu restaurant is close to here... we'll be back.

I think we are officially checking out of here this Sunday. We've been here a whole month already. Wow.

I should run. The cleaning people already attempted and retreated once.

1 comment:

Professor Minceknuckle said...

Bye Bye, Peach Blossom! But I'm sure you are thrilled to plant feet in a permanent residence. A J residence, if you will. Although J will offer more autonomy, it must have been SO wonderful to have hotel service for a solid month!

"Bye-bye" was actually covered in a lesson segment of the Pimsleur Quick and Easy Cantonese CD I borrowed recently. It was pronounced in this really sing-songy childlike way. I've like, totally, got Cantonese bye bye down now.

As for other words and phrases, not so much. I learned the phrase for pork dumplings (siu mai)and ran with it, but wound up with way more siu mai than I had asked for, when I tried it out at a dumpling place on the Bowery. Next lesson - numbers!