Thursday, September 22, 2011

I Hear You Knocking

Just a quick hello as we prepare for our trip to South Africa in two days. It's true that Paul planned the recent trip to Langkawi, the second he's taken charge of since Maldives last year. And it's true that they were both relaxing and indulgent trips, whereas I plan trips where we actually do things. Someone's gotta keep him on his toes (or in a sleeping bag in a cold valley surrounded by cows - but I haven't got around to the Bhutan blog yet).

I really enjoyed Langkawi. I don't know if the lavish resort we stayed at was representative of the rest of the island, but on our drive to and from the airport and to reach our sailboat dock, the island seemed more untouched than many others in the region. The forest are still forests, not palm plantations. I didn't notice the common sights of over-development. Our resort really was in the rain forest, and the wildlife put on shows to prove it. The beach was tranquil and I could gaze at the mountains in the sea for hours, and I did. The evening temperatures were also refreshingly cooler and so pleasant, unlike in Singapore. As a side note, I can eat my weight in baked goods, especially croissants, so multiple buffet breakfasts make the trip memories linger, mostly around my thighs.

One funny thing to mention - There was another couple at the resort that included a pregnant woman. We saw them often, to the point that I joked to Paul, "I think her baby is following my baby." Then they were on our flight back to Singapore, not so surprising. Then three days later, we saw her in our neighborhood. Amusing coincidence. Then I saw her three more times around Singapore. It's a small country but really???

So the lucky little pre-person I'm carrying around has already been to Bali, China, Hong Kong, Langkawi and soon, South Africa. Pretty impressive for not having a passport yet.

In baby news, I feel good. I have very few of the common symptoms associated with pregnancy. I was never nauseous. No food aversions and no cravings - well maybe one minor one. I am loving fruit and cold sweet things like smoothies. I did have nagging headaches for a couple of months but they suddenly and completely ended last month. I had a sharp pain in my right ribcage, right after Langkawi, that lasted about three weeks as my organs must have been getting pushed around, but that too has ended. I have my normal level of energy, for whatever that's worth, and I'm not so big that I'm uncomfortable yet. I take a prenatal yoga class twice a week and I try to take walks often.

The only illness I've felt was the cold and sinus infection that started on our way home from Hong Kong, the worst of which lasted about two weeks. I had no appetite but it returned thoroughly once we got to Langkawi. I think the sea air honestly did me good. I also had to wonder what the baby thought of me bobbing in the ocean from inside its own miniature sort of ocean.

I started feeling movements about a month ago. I should say I started recognizing them, more precisely, while on a sailboat on the Andaman Sea. I probably felt them earlier and I just wasn't sure enough to identify the soft fluttery sensation as baby movement. Then one late night while I was sitting quietly by myself, I was sure. Looking down at my belly, through my black tee shirt, I not only felt the thumps but I saw them. I exploded with laughter while simultaneously trying to settle down so I wouldn't miss seeing more. It was a thrill.

It wasn't until another month passed that the thumps were strong enough for Paul to feel too. Even though they are strong enough, it's still a challenge of timing. I will alert him, he rests his hand on me, and then... nothing. I keep thinking of the Bugs Bunny cartoon frog who belts out show tunes with top hat and cane when nobody is in earshot except its keeper. Then when the pitiful entrepreneur presents the amazing frog to an audience... nothing but an indifferent croak. Paul gets a lot of croaks. I'm sure that in no time our little froggy will make its presence undoubtedly known to both of us.

So I feel well and happy and I'm enjoying the show. I own exactly one baby book. I read it each week to see what's developing, and I don't obsess over information. There's an awful lot of it out there these days. 25 weeks down, 15 to go. Yikes, that's not long at all. Our lazy weekends on the couch are numbered.




No comments: